From: Nikolai N Fetissov (nikolai-boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-28 22:53:37

> Background:
> I am/was planning to profile the thread libraries from boost and ACE.
> During this experiment, I wish we had an interface class defined for
> threads. Also, I wish boost and ACE had implemented those interface
> classes. It would have helped someone like me profile different C++
> libraries with ease.
>
> I was going through the header files of boost and I don't see a
> interface classes being used. I am trying to understand was there a
> conscientious decision made to not define them. I am trying to
> understand the reason behind those decisions. It will help newbie's like
> me to understand C++ better and write better code.

Amit,

ACE and Boost are unrelated projects, and there's no universal
thread "interface" to implement. This doesn't mean you can't
design thin wrappers yourself for your experiment.
Honest advise though - do not use ACE, even if you find it faster,
which I very much doubt. Boost is a set of modern C++ libraries,
pushing its way into standard C++, and developed by world experts;
while ACE is dated, ugly, monolithic monster that forces you into
wrong design choices.

Hope this helps.

--
 Nikolai