From: Mike Marchywka (marchywka_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-29 13:21:23

I think the OP is from Lehman and you probably know about the recent error blamed
on a computer glitch at MCO,

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=ar.8vyi373ZY&refer=home

Computing in financial services can be high profile and it isn't always clear exactly
what priorities you have in such a setting. Maybe Java would be a better choice
just because it is harder to create computer related ( things like memory corruption ) problems.
Testing numerical code and design approaches to insure you don't get things like round off error, even with fixed
point money things, can be important ( with java, you should be able to diff most
numerical output as it is suposed to always have IEEE floating point and therefore reproducible roundoff etc ).

Anyway, that was what provoked my earlier question about overall interests.

I am happy to see a recognition that compilers, even today,
are not omniscient oe consistent with obscure syntax handling, some aren't even cache aware :)