From: Nikolai N Fetissov (nikolai-boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-30 10:58:20

> I thought udp didn't need a route to the target host. As long as
> there
> is a connection to a hub the socket would send the data out. Don't a
> route to the target host mean tcp?

UDP is a transport protocol.
Routing happens one step bellow at the network (i.e. IP) level.
End-nodes (not routers) with single network connection have
very simple routing tables and usually work off a default route/
default gateway in a way "I don't know where this packet needs
to go so let the router I'm connected to figure this out".
This is *not* the same as having an ethernet cable from your
machine to a switch - some routing setup still needs to be done
(either automatically via dhcp or manually.) Make yourself
familiar with netstat, route, and traceroute commands, or,
even better, pick up a copy of "TCP/IP Illustrated" Vol.1
by W. Richard Stevens (http://www.kohala.com/start/tcpipiv1.html)
to get a better understanding of networking.

Hope this helps.

--
 Nikolai