From: Daniel Lord (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-10 22:05:13

To: boost-users_at_[hidden]

Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:25:43 -0400

Subject: Re: [Boost-users] darwin universal static libs for release and
debug for 1.35.0

Jeff Flinn wrote:

>> Trying to build universal static libs for darwin.
>>
>> bjam --toolset=darwin --architecture=combined stage
>>
>> appears to only build libboost_*_mt-1_35.dylib's and
>> libboost_test_exec_monitor-mt-1_35.a. Whereas the default for 1.34.1 was to
>> build all libs.
>>
>> I need to build release and debug static libs. I'm having problems finding
>> the command line flags in the docs.
>>
>> This is my first foray into mac/unix builds for boost. Any help is
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks, Jeff
>>

> Ok, that was easy after reading the boost build docs:
>
> bjam --toolset=darwin --architecture=combined link=static threading=multi
> stage debug release

For Posterity, the full command req'dis:

bjam

 --toolset=darwin

 --architecture=combined

 link=static

 threading=multi

 address-model=32

 macosx-version=10.4

 stage debug release

Thanks, Jeff

Due to issues with the configs for OS X, you have to use the bjam calls and
Jeff pointed out the correct ones.Nota Bene: if you want to build 66-bit
libs, not all of them build (for shared libs) and you have a to add:

 macosx-version=10.5

In my shell script I made for building various configurations I use the
following command
where:
   link_type = static | shared
   local_arch = x86 | power
   local_address_model = 32 | 64

    bjam release debug toolset=darwin \
        link=${link_type} \
        threading=multi \
        architecture=${local_arch} \
        address-model=${local_address_model} \
        macosx-version=10.5

Works for me.

--
"It's not how many years you live--it's how much life you put in your years"
-- Sierra Mountain Guides