From: Hansi (hansipet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-13 03:18:58

Mojmir Svoboda schrieb:

> i know, logs can be really huge.
>
> but i never meant to not provide what you call runtime filtering. i
> perhaps said something badly. i thought you wanted add another filter at
> runtime.
>
> what i am saying is: User is not allowed to change format of the logged
> text at runtime, by changing the formatting chain. i know it can be
> done, but i don't want to as i consider it unnecessary.
>
> the reason why is that as you have large codebase with lot of outputs,
> your people probably have tools helping them analyse the logs:
> regexps, indents, scripts, filters to gnuplot etc etc.
> if you change order of the logged columns, your tools are confused.
>
> my approach is simply: think before picking format and then let it be
> the same forever (or at least for some long period). as a library user
> you can change it during development of course, but to take place, you
> have to recompile.

I think also that it is not so important to change the format during
runtime. It is a nice to have feature but at least for me not a must.
If you can configure the output format it has one big advantage: you can
change the format of older products without recompiling the program.
The most important thing for me that it does not cost a lot of time to
format the message.

> i hope that is clear, now and sorry for confusion i made.

best regards
Hansjörg