From: David Philp (david.philp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-01 00:28:57

On 01/07/2008, at 1:34 PM, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> David Philp wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm hoping this is a reasonable place to ask the question but please
>> point me elsewhere otherwise.
>>
>> I'm trying and failing to build the Boost Python examples. In the
>> directory
>> boost-1_35/libs/python/example/tutorial I am running "bjam". It dies
>> with the following errors:
>> /sw/lib/boost-1_35/tools/build/v2/build/project.jam:266: in find-
>> jamfile from module project
>> error: Unable to load Jamfile.
>> error: Could not find a Jamfile in directory '../../../..'.
>> error: Attempted to find it with pattern '[Bb]uild.jam [Jj]amfile.v2
>> [Jj]amfile [Jj]amfile.jam'.
>>
>> Here's my configuration:
>> * Intel Mac OS X, 10.5.3
>> * boost 1.35
>
> Is there a file called "Jamroot" in root directory -- specifically,
> in /sw/lib/boost-1_35 directory. If not, this is not a good Boost
> source
> tree.

There is not, though there is a Jamroot in the tutorial directory.
(There is a boost-build.jam in the root directory. I thought might be
equivalent, but soft-linking Jamfile or Jamroot -> boost-build.jam
does not help.) Thanks.

The rest of boost (well, a few bits I've used here and there) seem to
work, though, i.e. boost has built and installed into /sw. I've had
no trouble with the unit test, program options, or threads frameworks
from boost.

It may be that the fink package maintainer did not intend to install a
Boost source tree. Does it follow that the examples will be broken
but the installation might be otherwise correct? Or do I need to fix
this before I can use Boost Python?

(My first attempt to use Boost Python doesn't work but that isn't
surprising.)