From: David Philp (david.philp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-01 21:53:22

Hi

I'm trying to figure out what the roles of different files are in the
bjam system. The basic problem is that I don't know what should "just
work" and what I should expect to configure.

Assuming that I've got a properly installed boost, should I expect to
be able to link to e.g. boost.program_options as follows:

exe my_exe
   : my_code.cpp /boost/program_options//program_options
   ;

(if the above fails but the code is good, does that indicate a problem
with the installation? The boost Jamroot file suggested in answer to
my previous question seems to be intended to define the boost project.)

I have a lot of libraries in /sw/include and /sw/lib. Is there an
easy way to add them to my search path? For example, I have included
in my site-config.jam file the following:

project site-config
   : requirements
      <include>/sw/include
   ;

Is here an equivalent for libraries? Fiddling with LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH seems to be asking for trouble.

Also, I have to compile python modules with the following command line:
bjam --libdir=/sw/lib/python2.5 --undefined=-Wl,-flat_namespace,-
undefined,dynamic_lookup --compatibility_version=1.35.0 --
current_version=1.35.0 my_target

(I have set using python ; in my site-config.) If I take out any of
those options, the compile fails. Is it all really necessary though?
Or should I define it in a config file somewhere?

Thanks for your time.

David