From: most_at_[hidden]
Date: 2008-07-08 21:12:12

Hi,

I would like to use Boost.Thread in my 'winelib' application (a Linux
executable that can also use Windows APIs via Wine). My application hosts,
and shares threads with, 3rd party Windows DLL binaries. I've been told
that to interact well those threads I must use the Windows threading APIs
in my application. But by default Boost for Fedora (naturally) uses the
pthread APIs.

So I would need to use the Win32 variant of Boost.Thread. Any suggestions
for how to use the Win32 thread APIs in Boost.Thread, but use the Linux
variants of the rest of the libraries like Boost.Filesystem etc?

I looked in to Boost.Build and bjam, but wasn't sure how to proceed. I got
stuck trying to configure it to use winegcc or how to set
BOOST_THREAD_PLATFORM_WIN32. Is that the right tack? Thanks for any tips...
Michael Ost

PS: FYI the Wine project provides the 'winegcc' tool which can build
sources with Windows APIs into winelib shared libraries. That is, 'winegcc'
could build the Win32 versions of the Boost.Thread source into Linux shared
libraries. It is command line compatible with gcc.