From: Lothar Werzinger (lothar_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-11 14:41:22

On Friday 11 July 2008, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> bjam may be the best thing since sliced bread (some of the summaries of
> capabilities certainly make it sound interesting / valuable), but it's not
> a tool I know anything about. In an ordinary makefile, I could quickly
> substitute the right tools (gcc4 instead of gcc, g++4 instead of g++) and
> be on my way (without having to bother you). But I don't immediately see
> how to approach that with bjam. I had hopes it would auto-detect gcc4
> since I found that string in a couple of the files in hopeful-looking
> contexts, but that has not happened.
>
> So -- how do I build Boost 1.35.0 on my Linux system (Centos 4.6) using a
> GCC 4 installed as /usr/bin/gcc4 on my system?
>
> (We're using to_string() in date-time, among others, so I really do have
> to compile the library.)

we use a nonstandard gcc, too here's how to do it. You need to create/edit
user-config.jam. We decided to automatically create it. Here's the part where
we configure the compiler:

cat >user-config.jam <<@@END@@
# Boost.Build Configuration
# Automatically generated by ${scriptname}

# Compiler configuration
using gcc : : ${GCC_BASEDIR}/g++-${GCCVERSION} : <compileflags>${flag}
<compileflags>-I${buildprefix}/include <compi
leflags>-L${buildprefix}/lib <linkflags>${flag}
<linkflags>-L${buildprefix}/lib ;
@@END@@

Lothar