From: Meryl Silverburgh (silverburgh.meryl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-12 14:07:12

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Richard L. Aurbach <rick_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Jul 12, 2008, at 2:28 AM, boost-users-request_at_[hidden] wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Igor R <boost.lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> Does it compile if you define BOOST_NO_TYPEID ?
>
> My question is why I need to enable 'rtti' in order to use boost shared_ptr
> ?
>
> IIRC, get_deleter() function uses typeid(), which is unavailable in your
> case.
>
> I have added '#define BOOST_NO_TYPEID ' Before I include
> 'shared_ptr.hpp', but i still get the following error:
>
> /usr/include/boost/detail/sp_counted_impl.hpp: In member function
> 'virtual void* boost::detail::sp_counted_impl_pd<P,
> D>::get_deleter(const std::type_info&)':
> /usr/include/boost/detail/sp_counted_impl.hpp:150: error: cannot use
> typeid with -fno-rtti
>
> #define BOOST_NO_TYPEID
> #include <boost/shared_ptr.hpp>
>
> using namespace std;
> using namespace boost;
>
> Can you please tell me if there is a way to use boost smart pointer
> without rtti?
> Thank you.
>
> Actually, it isn't clear to me that you CAN use shared_ptr without RTTI. The
> shared_ptr package (both boost and TR1) includes dynamic_pointer_cast and
> static_pointer_cast, which are RTTI-related functions.
> Perhaps if you could share with us why it is important to use the -fno-rtti
> switch in your work, someone could provide more substantive suggestions.
> Cheers,
> Rick Aurbach

My understanding is '-fno-rtti switch' will result in smaller memory
usage in my code.

And it is part of a legacy project, so the whole project is compiled
with '-fno-rtti', I don't know how to change the Makefile.in to not
use that switch for only my part of the project (in its own directory
and with its own Makefile.in).