From: Michael Fuller (mm.fuller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-15 18:24:02

I've searched the Boost documentation and mail archive, but I can't
find an example for extracting a random variate from a Poisson
distribution. What I want to do is similar to extracting a variate
from a uniform distribution, such as the C++ rand() function, which
returns a single random variate on the range [0, RAND_MAX].

Is there a way to do something similar using the Poisson distribution
with a given mean? For example, something like this:

double n, lambda(0.30); //lambda is the mean of the Poisson
n = poisson_rand(lambda);

Thanks,
Mike