From: peter_foelsche_at_[hidden]
Date: 2008-07-16 19:38:28

Exceptions should be caught somewhere.
The software engineer has to make certain of that by adding a try-catch-block on every interface boundary -- such boundaries are usually points where C++ borders on C or the operating system -- e.g.
        * the main-function,
        * window message handlers,
        * thread-functions,
        * callback handlers provided by certain frameworks
                e.g. to read from a file descriptor.

I don't think a thread package should provide features for storing exceptions, since this would require a new base class other than std::exception.
You may want to make certain that the exceptions thrown inside a thread function are not simply ignored -- e.g. the string returned from what() can be stored and displayed by the main thread.