From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-18 08:03:00

--
Dave Abrahams
Boostpro Computing
http://boostpro.com
On Jul 18, 2008, at 7:30 AM, Daryle Walker <darylew_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Jul 18, 2008, at 6:57 AM, David Abrahams wrote:
>
>> on Fri Jul 18 2008, Daryle Walker <darylew-AT-hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> [SNIP]

>>> Well, I looked into it further.  In C++ 2003, section 4.1 "Lvalue-
>>> to-
>>> rvalue conversion" [conv.lval], paragraph 1, an uninitialized object
>>> can only be used as an lvalue, converting it to a rvalue is
>>> undefined
>>> behavior.
>>
>> Yes, that's what "// invalid" means.
>>
>>> This means that your program is illegitimate and we can't count it
>>> as
>>> a counter-example.
>>
>> Huh?  By that logic no counterexample is possible.  Or am I missing
>> something?
>
> Yes, the OP was having a problem with a boost class (template) that
> is like std::valarray: you can only do assignments if the source and
> destination objects _already_ had the same layout.
I understand that
> And my first response to this thread explained why this is
> problematic for our users,
I understand that too. My problem is with your implicit declaration
that such types are not to be considered Assignable.  That concept is
supposed to be compatible with the builtins.
> and so we shouldn't do this.  In this setup, all objects are validly
> initialized; it's just there isn't a single assignment-compatibility
> class that all valid object states belong to.  Note that you have to
> go out of your way to create a class like this.
Not really. It's pretty easy to end up with uninitialized members. But
that's really beside the point.
>  It's a pain because the user who wants to use this class internally
> has either make sure all wrapping objects keep all sub-objects of
> this type within the same assignment-compatibility class or write a
> custom assignment routine.  Said routine can be at most the basic
> guarantee if the resizing or copy steps may throw.
So?  I don't see how that's related or why it's a problem