From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-21 18:57:59

Zeljko Vrba wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 12:08:24AM +0800, Joel de Guzman wrote:
>> Then you might also perceive an inconsistency within STL too when a
>> std::vector is not a model of an associative container and a
>> std::vector is not a map? ;-) This is not the place to complain
>> about that. Try the C++ committee :-P
>>
> To be honest, I've never given it a second thought in the case of STL. I guess
> that's because nobody tried to "sell" me STL as something abstract and generic,
> so I've never critically judged it in that light :-P

Really? Seems that you know very little of STL. It's been sold by
countless people, in books, in mags, as "something abstract and generic".
It's the very essence of generic programming in C++.

> Well, whether this is not the place to complain about that is questionable --
> the future needs not repeat the mistakes of the past.. (of course, whether this
> particular issue is a "mistake" is also debatable, so best to drop it, things
> are as they are, for better or for worse :))

Perhaps. But next time you rant on something, better cover the bases
and histories first. It seems you haven't even covered STL concepts
yet, judging from your words.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman