From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-25 13:37:56

Howard Hinnant:

> I believe if this were to happen then the mutex would be generally
> unusable even without considering condition variables. We have this:
>
> A B
> m.lock(); ...
> ... ...
> m.unlock(); m.lock();
> ... m.unlock();
> ... m.~mutex();
>
> If after unlocking a mutex, and knowing by design that no one else is
> trying to lock it, you're still not able to safely destruct it, then
> you're really stuck with a bad mutex. The only way you could safely
> destruct it is by signaling the destructing thread that all other threads
> had passed a certain point. Such a signal would need a condition
> variable, and thus another mutex... catch 22! :-) ... One / has/ to be
> able to safely destruct a mutex after unlocking it.

Yep. But this is not easy to get right. Looking at

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2406.html#shared_mutex_imp

and using its exclusive part as an example, thread A does:

void
shared_mutex::unlock()
{
    {
    scoped_lock<mutex> _(mut_);
    state_ = 0;
    }
    gate1_.notify_all();
}

If it's preempted right after mut_.unlock, thread B can go ahead with
lock/unlock/destroy, destroying gate1_. Thread A then resumes and crashes.
Unless I'm missing something. (FWIW, most of my mutex implementations have
the same problem, the above is just the first mutex implementation link I
found with a quick Google.)