From: Alexander (gutenev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-31 11:53:47

> On Wednesday 30 July 2008 16:03 pm, Alexander Gutenev wrote:
>> I want to use intrusive_ptr as a smart pointer to have reference counting
>> without shared_ptr overhead.
>
> I'm curious, could you be more specific about how your implementation has
> less
> overhead than shared_ptr? Do you mean it uses less memory? Compiles
> faster?
> Runs faster?

There's several ways to allocate reference counter:
1. In separate object allocated separately - this is shared_ptr
2. In the same buffer with object but not as a part of object - this is
shifted_ptr
3. In the pointed object as a part of object - this is intrusive_ptr the way
i'm trying to use it.
The posted code is an implementation of what goes to the object.

It actually not even necessary for a shared pointer to use an integer
reference counting.