From: Emil Dotchevski (emil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-05 17:29:46

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 9:43 PM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> string is considered a primitive type and therefore not serializable
> through a pointer. (shared_ptr<string> contains a pointer to a string.
> Look in the documentation for serialization of pointers.
>
> You can address this by wrapping string in another class just
> for serialization.

Forgive my bluntness but is it a good idea for the shared_ptr
serialization to be implemented in terms of the T * object contained
in a boost::shared_ptr<T>?

I mean, for example std::string isn't serialized in terms of the char
* object it contains, right? Perhaps more to the point, what plans do
we have for serializing std::shared_ptr using boost::serialization?

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.