From: Ruediger Berlich (ruediger.berlich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-06 04:53:43

Hi there,

o.k., being a physicist, I hope I can find the right words in this
computer-scientist-rich environment ;-)

Imagine an environment where m entities produce items ("producers") which
are processed by n workers ("consumers"), running as threads. The results
are then returned back to the original entities, which themselves run in
threads. Both m and n are not known in advance, as it is the user (or an
automated procedure) that determines how many producers and consumers there
will be. In the middle of this sits a broker, which takes care of all
communication between producers and consumers. Both need to register with
the broker before being able to communicate with each other.

I want to have as few restrictions for my users as possible, as I want my
library to be easy to use. Hence there is no rule when producers and
consumers may or may not be registered. However, my current setup makes it
desirable that consumer threads do not *start* before at least one producer
has been registered (they are started by the broker). Hence I need to have
a mechanism that blocks all consumers that have been registered before the
first producer, until such time that the first items to be processed are
available.

If the number of consumer threads would be known in advance, Boost's
Thread-Barrier might be a possible choice. As I do not know this number,
however, I'll probably have to do my own locking (see my sample
implementation).

Best,
Ruediger

--
Kind Regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen,
Ruediger Berlich
Dr. Ruediger Berlich               | E-mail: ruediger.berlich_at_[hidden]
Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe        | Web: http://ruediger.berlich.com
Steinbuch Centre for Computing     | Phone:  +49 (0)7247 825678
Hermann-von-Helmholtz-Platz 1      | Fax:    +49 (0)7247 824972
D-76344 Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen   | Mobile: +49 (0)178 5567842
/*************************************************************************/
The Steinbuch Centre for Computing of Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
(the Cooperation of Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe GmbH and Universitaet
Karlsruhe TH) will run its annual GridKa School from September 8th to
12th, 2008. Please find further information at http://www.fzk.de/gks08 .
Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe GmbH
Sitz: Weberstraße 5
76133 Karlsruhe
Amtsgericht Mannheim HRB 100302
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Baerbel Brumme-Bothe
Vors. der Geschäftsführung: Prof. Dr. Eberhard Umbach