From: joel falcou (joel.falcou_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-07 14:47:11

As a complement, I took time to prepare a sample programms of how I handle
multi-dimensionnal array in my everyday code. It compares it to a classic
pointer access.
I'll be glad to discuss results of such methods on
different platform and discuss pros and cons of this method.

On
most platform, whener the data fits in the cache, both methods ends up in
a few tenth of percent of margin. For larger array, the difference grows
but it can be diminished by using loop tiling or loop blocking. Moreover
the natural [][] syntax eases the way you can write complex element acces
patterns.