From: Mike Marchywka (marchywka_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-09 15:54:49

>> All the GIL examples I saw use iterators and what I liked is that
>> complicated image calculations can be stacked. If I have to flip the an
>> image and convert it to B/W then traditionally I would do that in two steps,
>> with Gil you do that in one step only, with nearly double performance.

I was going to reply earlier but since you touched on the issues I wanted
to mention, let me just suggest that cache awareness be considered
as a null inner loops has no obvious performance relationship to something that
just writes a constant into incrementing addresses. Any iterator that preserves
locality and anything that reduces the number of "passes" can easily pay for some overhead,
especially of order zero ( some setup calculations that determine things
like block sizes etc but don't get repeated during iteration).

I don't have links handy but I think that FFTW has a lot of related literature
on performanc issues and, again, Intel has a lot of good optimization references
on their site for their processors.