From: Mathieu Peyréga (mathieu.peyrega_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-12 03:03:31

Hello,

I'm currently writting an open source and portable (Win32 / OS X /
Linux) software, and i'm using parts of boost libraries, especially for
the issue described here :

- boost serialization
- boost filesystem

At some point, i'm storing a directory name (as a std::string) into a
xml file through boost serialization library.

The encoding occurs on a windows platform, and as far as i can
understand (i'm really new to all these character set issues) it seems
to be done in win1252 character set.

One of the directory "stored" is named "français" (notice the cedilla on
the c) and is the issue.. When i load this file back on a linux or osx
platform, and try to access files in the "français" directory, i got an
error of the kind (no such directory)... because the encoding of the ç
with cedilla seem to be wrong... (everythong works fine if i put
"francais" everywhere without cedilla)

Is there somewhere a good starting document for character set for
dummies with tutorials or stuff like that ? How would you suggest i
correct the issue (while keeping the "ç") ?

Altought, I understand this is not completely boost issue... But it
seems to have so many "hidden" functions that i'm wondering if the
libraries would have something to do that that i missed...

Regards,

Mathieu

--
http://www.incub.net/