From: Adam Merz (adammerz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-19 13:48:01

Bijan <bijan.nazem <at> honeywell.com> writes:
> Adam Merz <adammerz <at> hotmail.com> writes:
> > I don't think define=arch:SSE2 has the effect you think it does; rather, I
> > believe what you want is cxxflags="-arch:SSE2". Also note that -arch has no
> > effect on 64-bit compilations, so it can be ommitted from the address-
> > model=64
> > bjam invocations.
>
> I thought "define" was more generic and applicable for both of C and C++ code
> (cflags and cxxflags).

According to http://tinyurl.com/6zeyhu, cflags affects both the C and C++
compilers, while cxxflags affects only the C++ compiler; I use cxxflags as a
matter of habit, but in the case of -arch, I suppose cflags would be more
appropriate (although I'm not aware of any C code inside of Boost anyway).

define creates macro definitions (i.e., /D for MSVC; http://tinyurl.com/6aku5f),
and so is suitable for defining _SECURE_SCL, but not for specifying -arch to the
compiler.