From: Alan M. Carroll (amc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-21 13:30:48

"shared_ptr<T> can be implicitly converted to shared_ptr<U> whenever T* can be implicitly converted to U*. In particular, shared_ptr<T> is implicitly convertible to shared_ptr<T const>, to shared_ptr<U> where U is an accessible base of T, and to shared_ptr<void>. "

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_36_0/libs/smart_ptr/shared_ptr.htm