From: Jurko Gospodnetić (jurko.gospodnetic_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-29 10:35:29

   Hi Sean.

> Hi: I need to build boost under vc 9.0. how do I specify an alternate
> vdersion of the compiler, I already have vc8 installed. Which compiler
> will be automatically picked up?

   Use Boost Build to build boost.

   If you have a default vc8 installation that Boost Build can
auto-detect then you can just use the toolset=msvc-8.0 command line option.

   If you do not have a default msvc-8.0 configuration you can configure
it yourself in your user-config.jam file by using the 'using' rule.
Something like:
   using msvc : 8.0 : /my/compiler/path/cl.exe : ...extra options... ;

   And then you can use the toolset=msvc-8.0 option. To see the exact
options for configuring the msvc toolset look at the comment for the
init rule in tools/msvc.jam.

   So for example, if you go to your boost library folder (let's call it
/boost) and do this:

     bjam stage --stagedir=. --build-type=complete toolset=msvc-8.0

   You should get all the libraries built in the /boost/lib folder.

   See the comment in the Jamroot file (or type bjam --help) for a more
detailed list of options specific to building Boost libraries.

   Hope this helps.

   Best regards,
     Jurko Gospodnetić