From: Adam Merz (adammerz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-29 19:58:36

Personally, I have no problems with hotfixes, but for those who prefer point
releases, how about this:

When a given version of Boost is at the end of its development lifecycle (i.e.,
when a new version of Boost is ready for release), take all the hotfixes for
that version and package them into a point release, then release the point
release and the new version at the same time. E.g., when Boost 1.37.0 is done,
create a 1.36.1 out of all the available 1.36.0 hotfixes.

This shouldn't add a significant resource burden, as the 1.36.1 package should
only need a single test run (as opposed to the daily tests the new version would
require) -- it's not being actively updated, should have no/minimal interface
changes from the base version, and the changeset(s) making up a given hotfix
have already received prior testing on trunk. To clarify, I'm advocating that
individual hotfixes do not receive any automated testing, other than on trunk,
as is currently done; only the point release resulting from all the hotfix
changesets would need testing.

The one "drawback" that I can think of is that Boost developers as a whole
(i.e., more than just Beman and Eric ;-) would need to track/categorize
changesets as hotfixes, so it could take a while to get enough momentum going to
make it realistic/useful.

Just my 2¢.