From: Peter S. (peterst_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-30 19:34:06

Hi,

I'm fairly new to boost so please excuse if my question may sound
stupid :)
I was wondering what the actual purpose of the load_binary/save_binary
methods of the Archive concept classes is. In the documentation
section "Archive Concepts", it is noted, that save_binary( u, count )
"Appends to the archive size_t(count) bytes found at u" and
load_binary( u, count ) "Retrieves from la size_t(count) bytes and
stores them in memory starting at u".
Is this meant to a) enable appending random data after some object was
serialized to the archive or is this really b) a lowlevel interface
through which all data is read/written to the archive, as one could
think (or at least, I did :)) by reading the "Archive Class Reference"
also found in the documentation? And if case b) applies, couldn't that
become a problem, when someone likes to implement an archive where it
isn't quite possible to write raw binary data to as additional
information is needed (databases/column names come to mind)?

Thanks and bye,
Peter