From: Leandro Lucarella (llucax_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-02 09:55:42

Hello. I've been searching for a "buffer" class. I mean, a class like
std::string with a .data() method that returns a mutable char* instead of
a const char*. So I can do something like:

std::string buffer;
buffer.reserve(SIZE);
int n = recv(fd, buffer.data(), SIZE, 0);

I know I probably can do that with a cast anyways, but I don't think it's
pretty nor "defined behaviour", right?

Another thing sometime I need, is some string processing *without*
copying. Something like a readonly substring view. What I think of is
basically some struct like: struct slice { const char* ptr; size_t len; }
which has all the other (at least no-mutable) operation of a string.
Something like doing a std::string::substr() but without the copying.

Are there any support for this stuff on boost?
Do you know any other libraries which have this?

TIA.

You look so tired-unhappy,
bring down the government,
they don't, they don't speak for us.