From: Allen Cronce (allenslists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-02 11:57:31

I have to admit that I don't know much about boost serialize yet. I
plan to evaluate it for a project we're working on.

But if that description of the version design is accurate, it seems
very limiting. It sounds like it's only safe to use boost serialize
when you've got complete control of the executable versions accessing
the persistent data.

If forwards and backwards executable and persistent data compatibility
is a requirement, then maybe Thrift (from the Facebook guys) would fit
the bill? Thrift has a versioning design that allows new executables
to create new persistent data that can still be understood by old
executables. Essentially each element of a Thrift structure is
individually versioned with a unique ID. It's an interesting take on
the versioning issue.

Thrift is a very different approach than boost serialize though. It's
primarily a cross language protocol framework, that happens to also
support persistent storage. It uses a C-like definition language to
describe the persistent or on-the-wire protocol structures. It then
generates the corresponding code for all sorts of languages. Note that
there's no support for object inheritance with Thrift objects, which
is a significant limitation.

Best,

--
Allen Cronce