Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [bjam] Presence of Mac OS X 10.6 SDK prevents boost 1.36 build
From: Allen Cronce (allenslists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-04 10:32:23

Hi Jürgen,

On Sep 4, 2008, at 12:13 AM, Jürgen Hunold wrote:

>> The workaround was for me to hide the SDK, run configure again, then
>> build.
>
> mmh. Just adding 10.6 to darwin.jam just have worked better

Yes, but that would require me to actually *know* something about the
boost build system ;-) It was easier for me to change the environment
than to figure out how to fix the build.

<rantmode>
As it is, I can barely get pull together the right bjam incantation
for each new boost release. It's really too bad that there aren't
better platform specific build recipes documented.
</rantmode>

>> I still can't build successfully, due to an unrelated issue.
>> But I'll post that separately in order to try and keep things clear.

I never followed up regarding this other build issue because it was my
own problem having to do with statically linked libraries under
Windows. I didn't think it was worth another post about problems with
the autolink feature.

>> Snow Leopard will be here before you know it, so at some point the
>> boost build system should be updated to know about 10.6. For that
>> matter, maybe a new SDK would just generate a warning, not a hard
>> error.
>
> I crosspost this to the Boost.Build list. Maybe someone there has a
> better
> idea.

Thanks!

But my work around really isn't that bad. I only had to hide the SDK
when building boost, which only happens when pulling in a new boost
vendor drop. We check the built libraries and headers into our
repository so that our engineers don't have to mess with building
third party libraries.

> You should at least create trac tickets for those issues.

Yes, I'll create a trac ticket for the issue. I'm still kind of new to
boost and didn't know what the process was for reporting problems.

Best,

--
Allen Cronce