Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Subsets of boost under version control (Angel Tsankov)
From: Rodolfo Federico Gamarra (rgamarra_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-04 12:03:53

Hi Angel.

I read your question and tought a little about it. I have some doubts about
what exactly you're trying to do.

>therefore it would be a good idea not to version control all of boost
together with such projects.

Do you want to version-control Boost's sources within the Boost client
project's repository? Since, for that project which uses Boost, Boost it's
an external dependency (and you're not touching Boost's sources) I believe
that the general recommendation is not to version control those sources.

But, it is sometimes helpful to have in the same repository the dependencies
so as to check-put the whole thing easily.

What do you mean by repository? The whole one or just particular SVN project
within a given repository. You may create independent subsets as different
SVN projects, within a same repository. The future additions would be new,
independent, projects. Then, each one checks out the project that he/she
needs.

>Can someone recommend a way to achieve this with subversion's
branches-tags-trunk policy?

Trying to use tags/branchs/trunk, it seems that the concept of tag is closer
to what you may need. In general, a tag is used to take a snapshot of the
trunk and give a name to it. But it could be used in more ways. Take a look
at this

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html#svn.branchmerge.tags.mkcomplex

With this, you can make-up in your local workspace whatever a subset you
desire, and then upload it to the repository with any name you want to use
to identify it.

I hope you find these comments useful.

Rodolfo.

--