Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [dataflow.signals][thread_safe_signals] How to alter the Calling of chained signals
From: Stjepan Rajko (stipe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-07 13:15:09

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 3:41 AM, Manuel Jung <gzahl_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I have looked at the new example. I think it is a good approach to make a
> async component from a normal component. The first example with the inc
> works fine, but the 3rd (2nd is disabled, but looking forward to this
> kind..)

2nd example should work now (just did a commit), with the latest
updates Oliver Kowalke did on the threadpool lib.

> seems not to work right?
> My output is e.g.:
>
> adding task
> tick 1...
> adding task
> tick 2...
> adding task
> tick 3...
> adding task
> tick 1...
> adding task
> tick 2...
> adding task
>
> But since the network is just "tick_starter >>= ticker1 >>= ticker2 >>=
> ticker3 >>= ticker1;", the last "tick 2..." is too much, isn't it?

ticker1 >>= ticker2 >>= ticker3 >>= ticker1 creates a cycle in the
network. Hence, the signal will cycle through the network
indefinitely (it only stops because of the shutdown).

I am now writing some docs to talk about threading in Dataflow.Signals
and comment on this example further. Should be done later today.

Best,

Stjepan