Subject: [Boost-users] [dataflow][review] Dataflow.Signals and threading - new docs and examples
From: Stjepan Rajko (stipe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-07 17:18:20

Hello,

I have added a section on threading to the Dataflow.Signals tutorial:
http://tinyurl.com/69subd
(my hosting provider appears to be having some intermittent problems
today - I apologize to any reviewers impacted by this)

This new section summarizes information related to threading, and
presents a new example component that uses the Threadpool library by
Oliver Kowalke to provide support for asynchronous signals.

Here is an excerpt regarding the Threadpool component:

The purpose of the component is to make a signal call asynchronous.
Instead of the consumer component processing the signal immediately,
the signal call will be added to a thread pool and processed later.
async_component is a class template, templated on the threadpool type,
and the type of the underlying component that will process the
asynchronous signal.

The three examples provided are:

    * mixing synchronous and asynchronous signals
    * assigning priorities to tasks / signals
    * using asynchronous signals for cyclic networks

Thanks to everyone that has participated in the discussion regarding
this library so far. I hope this documentation update will provide
some additional information on how the library can be used / extended.

Stjepan