Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost fusion and/or boost parameter: open ended question about constructing object from a string
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-10 17:22:07

on Wed Sep 10 2008, e r <erwann.rogard-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

>>> So I'd like to put all these arguments in a file, each line
>>> corresponding to an object, rather than have a messy cpp file.
>>
>> Well, if you're willing to compile that file as C++, you could go back
>> to using Boost.Parameter... ;-)
>
> since the arguments to be passed into object constructors are known at
> compile time, i guess i could still do this?

I guess. Why, exactly, did you want to use strings, then?

> a) have some sort of cpp template i.e. some, not all the code
> intentionally left out (say marked by "NA"), to be filled from a text
> file, via a text processor b) compile the modified cpp file.
>
> i'm not all that experienced with parsers and such. is this where
> Boost.Xpressive etc fit in or should i just go ahead and use perl?

If you're going to go back to using Boost.Parameter, you probably won't
have any use for parsers and such. If you're going to use parsers and
such, there probably is no role for Boost.Parameter.

I guess you could set up a toolchain where you parse some text file,
generate C++ code, and compile that... is that where you are heading?
And if so, why bother with the text file?

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing