Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [test] Passing parameters to fixtures
From: Markus Schöpflin (markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-16 03:08:43

Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
> Markus Schöpflin <markus.schoepflin <at> comsoft.de> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> Up to now (using an old version of Boost.Test) I was creating a
>> test suite (by deriving from test_suite) and performed the
>> connection handling during construction/destruction of the
>> customized test suite.
>
> [...]
>
>> Now, the Boost.Test documentation tells me that a fixture
>> is supposed to be used like this: BOOST_FIXTURE_TEST_SUITE( s, F )
>
> Unfortunately this is not what you want. This suite level fixture -
> meaning it's applied to every test case within the suite. What you
> are looking for is "per suite" fixture. This is the only type of
> fixture which is not implemented yet.

Yes, you're right. I assumed that this would give me a per suite fixture.

>> So there doesn't seem to be a way of passing parameters to
>> the constructor of the fixture. Is there any? Or is there
>> any other way to obtain a parametrized fixture? Or should
>> I just keep on using customized test suites?
>
> Unless I've broken something, it should continue to work.

OK.

> On the other hand if you need yo configure DB connection
> only once per test module, you can use BOOST_TEST_GLOBAL_FIXTURE.
> You can access CLAs through master test suite interface.

Interesting. I didn't think about that before. So the global fixture would
parse the command line itself and set up the DB connection in the constructor.

This should give me exactly what I need.

Thanks for your help,
Markus