Subject: Re: [Boost-users] serialization problems (undefined reference -boost::archive::detail::archive_pointer_oserializer<...>)
From: Allan Johns (nerdvegas_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-16 10:27:52

Thanks Matthias, I now have an archive which works with shared_ptrs!

In my header I added:
#include <boost/archive/shared_ptr_helper.hpp>
#include <boost/serialization/shared_ptr.hpp>

, and derived my iarchive/oarchive classes from detail::shared_ptr_helper.

Then, in the cpp, I added:
#include <boost/archive/impl/archive_pointer_iserializer.ipp>
#include <boost/archive/impl/archive_pointer_oserializer.ipp>

, and
namespace boost { namespace archive {
    template class detail::archive_pointer_iserializer<my_iarchive> ;
    template class detail::archive_pointer_oserializer<my_oarchive> ;
}}

I guess the boost docs threw me off in this case as they have an example of an archive implementation, however no mention is made of shared_ptr serialization as a special case... I didn't think I had to do anything specific in my implementation, and indeed did not even know what an .ipp file is for...

thanks muchly