Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [filesystem] Strange problems on Cygwin with 1.36.0
From: Boris (boriss_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-17 06:06:06

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 04:43:01 +0200, Dave Steenburgh
<dave.steenburgh_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Boris wrote:
>
>> According to
>> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_36_0/libs/filesystem/doc/index.htm#CgywinBoost.Filesystem
>> seems to be supported on Cygwin. However with the latest
>> version 1.36.0 (which I've built with BOOST_POSIX_API defined) I don't
>> seem
>> to get any Boost.Filesystem function to work on Cygwin. I'm currently
>> running some test cases and had to modify them for Cygwin like this:
>>

> When I compiled bcp for Cygwin, I had to define BOOST_CYGWIN_PATH before
> it
> worked correctly. I don't remember what was wrong or what that flag
> changes, so maybe someone else can explain it.

I added BOOST_CYGWIN_PATH and tried boost::filesystem::equivalent() - now
it works! However I don't know if I should really add a #define
BOOST_CYGWIN_PATH to my test cases as BOOST_CYGWIN_PATH implies
BOOST_WINDOWS_PATH and BOOST_POSIX_API (according to
boost/filesystem/config.hpp). If someone wants to use the Windows API on
Cygwin the tests won't work?

What is the recommendation for Cygwin? Should I simply use
boost::filesystem::equivalent() and let users find out themselves what
preprocessor directives they must define? The problem is also that
BOOST_CYGWIN_PATH is nowhere documented. There are five links if I search
for BOOST_CYGWIN_PATH in Google?

Boris