Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Cross-Compile Boost for Embedded Linux
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-17 13:30:58

Richard Ketcham wrote:
>> Oh wow. Yep, that's seems to be exactly what happened. I rebuilt
>> gcc with linuxthreads enabled, here's the output after doing that:

Whew, that was a good guess then :-)

>> However, when I go to compile the thread.cpp example (I commented
>> out the other examples in the Jamfile.v2) in
>> ~/boost_1_36_0/libs/thread/example/, it errors out:

Those are all C++ std lib symbols.

>> What do you think is the problem? It's referencing iostream.h ... my
>> using command is defined as follows:
>>

>> using gcc : arm :
>> /home/rich/gumstix/gumstixLatest/build_arm_nofpu/staging_dir/bin/arm-linux-gcc-4.1.1
>>>
>> <cxxflags>-I/home/rich/gumstix/gumstixLatest/build_arm_nofpu/staging_dir/usr/include/

Ah, you've told bjam to use the gcc C compiler: and while that will
correctly compile C++ code, when used as a linker it doesn't know anything
about the C++ runtime libraries required, and hence the errors. Use the g++
variant in /home/rich/gumstix/gumstixLatest/build_arm_nofpu/staging_dir/bin/
if you have one, if you don't then I'm at a loss, consult the docs for the
ambedded linux version to see how you're supposed to link C++ code I guess !
:-)

HTH, John.