Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [test] testing protected/private methods out of test suits
From: Othman, Ossama (ossama.othman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-19 13:08:06

Hi,

>I'm not sure I understand the problem. This hack works regardless of
>the library decomposition. Visibility is purely a source-code
>concern, just include #defines and the header declaring the class and
>you can access anything even if it is in a different library.

I don't believe this is true for all compilers or in all cases. For example, changing the member visibility in a class I worked on broke binary compatibility in a library I built with MSVC++ 8. Similar complications may arise when using symbol hiding techniques, such as compiler-specific symbol visibility support, link scripts, etc.

HTH,
-Ossama

--
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this e-mail are my own, an in no way represent Intel opinions.