Subject: [Boost-users] *NIX: Boost ASIO and file descriptor limits
From: Etienne Philip Pretorius (icewolfhunter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-04 10:56:38

Hello list,

I have a question regarding the system limit on a *NIX system for the
maximum open file descriptors that a process may have open.

If you were using the boost asio library to design a server application
how would you go about and extend the server to handle more than the
1024 file descriptor limit.

The common approach on *nix systems is to fork(2) the process and have
the child accept the client connections and have the parent process
inform the child process when the listening socket has clients waiting
to be accepted.

My question is how would I achieve a similar design approach.

Any comments or ideas are welcome.

Kind Regards,
Etienne Pretorius.