Subject: Re: [Boost-users] *NIX: Boost ASIO and file descriptor limits
From: Etienne Philip Pretorius (icewolfhunter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-04 12:04:10

> this link might also help you:
> http://www.kegel.com/c10k.html#limits.filehandles
>
> Boris

Thank you Boris,

I am not contesting that the per process file descriptor limit could be
changed - you do need super-user access though to do so.

I know that Postfix uses a child per connection model, and I would like
to implement something similar. If I could pass, in a secure fashion,
the listening socket into the child process (Postfix uses fork() and
exec() with settings passed via environmental variables.).

There is a process limit per user that is also 1024 on my system, so I
should easily be able to handle 65536 connections if i am multi homed
and bound to each interface address. As the limit is now 1024 file
descriptors per process and a process limit of 1024 running processes.

So I guess, my question is how do I span multiple sockets/file
descriptors across multiple processes by using boost libraries.

Etienne Pretorius.