Subject: Re: [Boost-users] *NIX: Boost ASIO and file descriptor limits
From: Boris (boriss_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-06 15:46:54

On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 16:57:57 +0200, Sebastian Hauer
<sebastian.hauer_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hello Boris,
>
> On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Boris <boriss_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Boost.Process might help you: http://www.highscore.de/boost/process/
>
> boost.process looks very promising, just wondering are there plans to
> include it with boost 1.37.

There was no progress really for two years. I picked it up this year as I
needed something similar for my own purposes. The code has been thoroughly
tested to make sure that the current code works reliably (as I need
something reliable :).

What I don't know if the current library is not too small for a Boost
library. For example you can only access the current process and child
processes but no other processes running. I don't know where to draw a
line and what else should really be put in before it becomes an official
Boost library?

In the moment I'm working on improving support for asynchronous I/O
(somehow integrationg Boost.Process with Boost.Asio). I got another mail
 from someone who thinks about using Boost.Process to build something like
Expect (see http://expect.nist.gov/). Maybe I'll get some ideas from him
to better understand if the current library is useful enough to become an
official Boost library.

And to be fair there is also another draft of a process library:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/180310

Boris