Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [shared_ptr] Cannot include shared_ptr.hpp
From: Alice Johnson (alice.johnson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-06 22:10:18

> Does it work if you define the macro BOOST_USE_WINDOWS_H in the project
> settings?

Yes it does - thanks.

> I never used CLR stuff myself, but AFAIK one of the fundamentals is
automatic
> garbage collection (MS refers to this as "managed"). So everything
relying on
> the deterministic behavior of C++ ctors/dtors won't work.

> I doubt anything in boost is written with automatic garbage collectors in
> mind. This article regarding the boehmgc shows how to wrap stl containers
> - http://www.ddj.com/cpp/184401632

> I'm new to this topic as well, so please correct me if I'm wrong so far
and
> with the following statement: there have to be clear interfaces between
> automatic gc code and normal deterministic code. Mixing doesn't work out
of
> the box.

> Best,
> -- Maik

I am using mixing. I have an unmanaged C++ library which is linked with a
managed C++ dll. The unmanaged code does have deterministic destruction
behaviour - put a break point in the destructor of an unmanaged class and
the break point is reached at the time that is expected.

Alice