Subject: [Boost-users] return type of boost::iostreams::stream<T>::read()
From: Struebing, Axel, le-tex (axel.struebing_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-12 17:53:18

I apologize, if i have missed something.

Reading the documentation about boost::iostreams library I could not find the
information which return type the boost::iostreams::stream's class is giving
me calling read(). I searched through the headers and every read() found
returns std::streamsize, which sounds reasonable to me.

I was surprised, that the code below does not compile
--------start code ----------
#include <boost/iostreams/stream.hpp>
#include <boost/iostreams/device/file.hpp>

int main(void){
  boost::iostreams::stream<boost::iostreams::file_source>
        istr(std::string("in.pdf"));
  char *buffer = new char[10];
  std::streamsize i = istr.read(buffer,10);
  return 0;
}

and gives me:
test.cpp:7: error: invalid conversion from ‘void*’ to ‘std::streamsize’

Could someone shed a light on me, please?

Thanks in advance.

kind regards
Axel