Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Can not compile a program that uses typeof package by gcc?
From: Peng Yu (pengyu.ut_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-20 12:40:09

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Steven Watanabe <watanabesj_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> AMDG

What does AMDG? Does it mean this
http://www.geocities.com/thetropics/7177/amdg.htm? Or it means
something else?

> Peng Yu wrote:
>>>
>>> You need to use BOOST_TYPEOF_TPL.
>>>
>>> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_36_0/doc/html/typeof/refe.html#typeof.typo.
>>> Some compilers can handle this (I just tried it on msvc 9.0), but I
>>> strongly
>>> advise using multiply_traits as defined above for portability.
>>>

>> Does this mean the error that I saw is not due to a GCC bug? Or it is
>> due to a GCC bug, but most other compilers would have the same bug so
>> that I have to use your way as a walkaround?
>>

> It is due to a gcc bug, but other compilers have their own bugs.
> By portability, I meant practical portability, in so far as using
> multiply_traits
> works on a lot more compilers.

I see. Does the fact that BOOST_TYPEOF are BOOST_TYPEOF_TPL are there
means that they will be eventually the only macros are used, and all
the others macros in typeof package will be unnecessary and discarded
when compilers become free of this kind of bug in the future?

Thanks,
Peng