Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Is there a spatialIndex in boost?
From: Mike Marchywka (marchywka_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-22 10:07:36

I had a couple of questions related to recent posts here.
The only part of boost I've used is the regular expressions and these, along with greta, work fine.
I eventually did write some of my own code to handle special subsets when I had comparaitvely long
vectors of patterns and targets. I'm not sure what you are looking for with either spatial index or
FFTW but both of these bring to mind the idea of strategy selection that includes things like
cache awareness. In the case of my regex vector problem, I guess had there been flags
to set a strategy, even if one could not have been deduced with reasonable overhead, that
would help overall performance. I'm not sure that you want a library based on good progamming
pracitce to be littered with implementations for quirky parameter ranges but the performance
benefits can be worthwhile in some cases. If you are searching though a high-dimensional space,
something like a DB query, it may be important to pick a strategy first and curious to know
what there may be in boost related to this.
Is there any kind of strategy selection or factory infrastructure? Even something as simple
as a cache library, maybe similar to a thread library?