Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Is there a spatialIndex in boost?
From: Mike Marchywka (marchywka_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-22 10:57:22

> Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:27:38 -0500
> From: pengyu.ut_at_[hidden]
> To: boost-users_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Is there a spatialIndex in boost?
>
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Mike Marchywka wrote:
>>

>> I had a couple of questions related to recent posts here.
>
> Do you mean my posts or some recent posts on this mailing list in general?

[...]

> I don't quite understand what you are asking and how it is related
> with my original post.
>
> I asked spatialindex and FFT. Because I need to refactor some of my
> code written long time back, when there were no support of FFT and
> spatialindex in boost.
>
> I programmed by own spatialindex library (specifically, an R-Tree). I
> also wrote a C++ wrapper for FFT, which is far from perfect. If boost
> has R-Tree and FFT, I would use them rather than my own ones.

It was just a generic question about general approaches to achieving performance
optimization over a wide range of parameters for a wide range of algorithms.
I guess I could imagine things like cache awareness being dumped into allocators
or something. Not sure if there is a general approach for picking specific
implementations of any class of algorithms. I guess I'd be asking about something
like a "strategy" API perhaps. Maybe the question as posed doesn't make a lot of
sense as I am asking for a general approach to handling ad hoc logic
that you could hide in your own factories without furhter thought :)