Subject: [Boost-users] tcp::sockets non-copyable, and threads
From: Lindley M French (lfrench1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-22 17:12:09

I'm trying to design a basic server, and I figured now would be a good time to get familiar with what Boost has to offer. However, I've already encountered a difficulty: boost::asio::ip::tcp::sockets are non-copyable.

Therefore, I cannot simply acceptor.accept(socket), and then spawn a boost::thread on an object that uses that socket! If I pass a reference or pointer the socket must remain in scope, so it will need to by dynamically allocated....which doesn't seem right to me.

I figure I'm probably missing something fundamental on the way boost is intended to work. Anyone care to enlighten me?