Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost 1.36 portability issues on FreeBSD 6.x?
From: Alexander Sack (pisymbol_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-23 14:10:57

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 1:55 PM, Vladimir Prus
<vladimir_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Alexander Sack wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Vladimir Prus
>> <vladimir_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> Alexander Sack wrote:
>> Yes very much so. In fact I believe within the Linux community there
>> are differences between the Debian folks and the Fedora/SuSE community
>> about how to treat 32-bit binaries on 64-bit systems on how lib/rtld
>> work. I do know you CAN'T do this on a FreeBSD machine. It will
>> cause odd build failures for sure.
>
> Well, if you can spec exactly what paths should be added under which
> circumstances, we surely can implement that.

Ok, will try to come up with something.

>> Any suggestions about the trap stuff?
>
> Sorry, no specific suggestions. Commenting them out in Boost code seems
> best.

Hmmm....alright...do you know what the ramifications are? My guess is
specific traps won't be thrown under boost. Of course, for FreeBSD 7,
I think we might be ok.

> Oh, I do. Or rather I did -- see private email.

Thanks, much appreciated! I know you're busy!

>> So since I'm the guinea pig, the answer is NO. LOL. So, how can I
>> help? I got my FreeBSD 6.1 system to basically build. I'm still
>> playing more with it and testing some stuff out (I know ASIO is gonna
>> be interesting since ASIO on 6.1 specifically is broke but on 6.x it
>> isn't).
>
> Running regression tests is one approach.

Ok, how do I do that? i.e. do you have a certain set of tests in mind?

>> The biggest challenge so far is the SIGNAL defines and what does 1.36
>> require from the underlying OS trap stuff? If I can get past this I'm
>> very close to being able to update the official freebsd port which is
>> a good thing (both for FreeBSD and Boosters).
>
> My guess is that extra signal values can be just ignored.

That's mine too at this point so I will attempt to come up with some
patches and post for the official tree. It shouldn't be this hard to
build Boost on FreeBSD (considering BSD is a standard UNIX distro).

-aps