Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Installing Boost.MPI [bjam]
From: Raymond Wan (rwan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-30 01:53:06

Hi John,

Raymond Wan wrote:

> Hi John,
>

> John Phillips wrote:
>> Raymond Wan wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I need some help with building Boost.MPI. My system is a Debian
>>> testing
>>> (lenny) system and I'm following the instructions at [lenny uses 1.35
>>> and not 1.36]:

... [snip]
> Or maybe I should just go with installing from source into a separate
> directory. This latter option seems easiest right now, I guess...

Just a quick follow-up to my situation. I went ahead and did this --
downloaded the source and did a local installation. While compiling
wasn't perfect -- the error I got was "failed updating 69 targets,
skipped 18 targets" -- but 7857 targets worked...so percentage-wise,
it's ok. :-) Most importantly, I did this to get Boost.MPI working.
So, I tried the test program in the Boost.MPI tutorial and it worked fine.

So, it seems [for me, anyway], this was a reasonable option compared to
wrestling with the Debian package which I might go back to some day, but
right now, I don't know enough to fix that.

Big thank you for your help! Your message gave me the motivation to
look into this alternative [of downloading from source and installing]...

Ray