Subject: Re: [Boost-users] How to find: best integer type for processor
From: Mike Marchywka (marchywka_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-30 12:28:33

[ this latest and greatest hotmail refuses to put ">" on earlier text
and seems to resent the idea I would decline to send html. LOL ]

There is no requirement that the address space cardinality
as reflected in the size of a pointer be related to relevant registers or
bus size or anything having to do with
your application needs. Sure, normally registers are sized to manipulate
addresses and usually this would be a reasonable guess on register size but
may not be related to various bus sizes. More important things, like cache size,
would be nice to learn about at runtime.

As a person who likes to
write lower level code and gets annoyed manipulating char's knowing
that registers and buses are wider, I have a lot of sympathy, but
you first need to size your structures for your needs.

What did the OP mean by "best?"